Interlibrary loans (ILL) are available to all current UNSW staff and students. For more information see Borrowing rights.
- can obtain items, including theses, that are not held in the collections at UNSW Library (Sydney) and Academy Library (Canberra)
- supplies copies from the physical collections at UNSW Library (Sydney) and Academy Library (Canberra) to off-campus clients
Requesting an interlibrary loan
Before submitting your interlibrary borrowing request, check that the item is not held in the UNSW Library collection.
Log into myLibrary and request an interlibrary loan through Interlibrary Loan Service in the top main menu section. New items will be sourced as eBooks where possible. If print copy is preferred, please note on the interlibrary loan request.
Requests that may be difficult to obtain include:
- theses (if available may take up to 3 months to arrive)
- rare books
- reference materials
- whole issues or volumes of journals
- materials in heavy demand
- very recent publications
- items not yet published in print
- Requests will usually be supplied within 3 to 10 working days
- Overseas material will take longer to obtain
- Urgent materials can be requested by choosing either rush or express service level on the ILL request form (see costs section below)
- Rush - request made with lending library within 1 business day
- Express - request made with lending library within 2 business hours
- UNSW Library does not charge for core service level requests
- UNSW Library charges:
- rush ($16.50 - $33)
- express ($33 - $66)
- The cost will be added to your myLibrary account
Notification and delivery
- A confirmation email will be sent - it will include your unique ILL request number
- You will be notified via email when a loan item has arrived
- Digital copies will be sent to your UNSW email
Viewing the status of your interlibrary loan request
- Log into myLibrary and select Interlibrary Loan Service in the top main menu section
- Select Open requests to view all active requests or All requests to view past and present requests
Loan periods and fines
Loan periods vary depending on the lending policies of the supplying library. Due date is noted on the ILL book strap and can also be viewed in myLibrary via Loans. Interlibrary loans can be recalled at any time. You will be notified via email of the recall and due date change. There is a $1.00 charge for every day the loan is overdue. For more information see Fines.
Renewing an interlibrary loan
Refer to the ILL book strap to see if the item is renewable. To request a renewal, contact the Library at least two business days before the loan is due (see contact details below).
Returning an interlibrary loan
- Interlibrary loans can be returned by post or in person at either UNSW Library (Sydney) or Academy Library (Canberra)
- Please return the ILL book strap with the item to ensure there is no delay in processing
Phone: +61 2 9385 2671
Opening hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday – Friday
Postal address: Document Services Unit, UNSW Library, UNSW Sydney, NSW 2052, AUSTRALIA