Due to COVID-19, the library can only process requests that can be supplied from electronic resources.
The interlibrary loans (ILL) service is available to UNSW staff, postgraduate and honours students. You may request items that are not held by the UNSW Sydney Libraries and UNSW Academy Library Canberra. For more information see Borrowing rights.
For information on requesting non-UNSW theses see Theses.
For information on off-campus copy requests see Off-campus borrowers.
For copies and interlibrary loans to other libraries see Document delivery service.
Requesting and collecting an ILL item
- You can request book chapters, journal articles, audio-visual materials, reports, conference papers and archival and other materials available in Australia and overseas.
- Requests are free and generally take 5-10 working days to process.
3. You will be notified via email when a requested item is available:
- Digital copies will be sent to your UNSW email.
- You will receive a cancellation email if the item cannot be sourced.
To view your current and past requests sign in to myLibrary and select Interlibrary Loan Service in the top main menu section.
Loan periods and renewing an ILL item
Due dates and renewal conditions are noted on the ILL book strap and can also be viewed in myLibrary under 'Loans'.
- If an item is renewable, contact the Library via your ILL webform account or email. Interlibrary loans cannot be renewed online.
- Interlibrary loans can be recalled at any time. You will be notified via email of the recall and due date change.
- There is a $1.00 charge for every day the loan is overdue. For more information see Fines.
Returning an ILL item
Return your Interlibrary loans by post or in person at any UNSW Sydney Library or the UNSW Academy Library (Canberra).
- The ILL book strap must remain on the item.
- Defacing, mutilating or damaging interlibrary loan items in any way will result in replacement cost fees being charged to the client. The cost is determined by the lending library.
All interlibrary loan requests submitted by UNSW staff and students must be made in accordance with the Australian Copyright Act. Under the Act, libraries can supply a copy of an article or other work as long as the copy is only used for research or study and the amount copied is in accordance with the limits prescribed by the Act.
The limits are as follows:
- 10% or one chapter of a book
- one article per periodical issue, or more if those articles are on the exact same subject.
The Library reserves the right to refuse an interlibrary loan request if it believes that fulfilling the request would breach the Australian copyright law. For more information see Copyright.
Phone: +61 2 9065 9443
Opening hours: Monday – Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Postal address: DCA Resource Sharing, UNSW Library, UNSW Sydney, NSW 2052, AUSTRALIA