The duration of copyright varies depending on the type of material, its country of origin and when it was created.
From 1 January 2019, new changes to Australian copyright duration laws will apply.
For literary works:
- Where the author is known - the life of the author plus 70 years
- Where the author is generally unknown:
- if the work has not been made public within 50 years of creation – 70 years from when they were made public
- if not made public, 70 years from creation
For films and sound recordings
- If made public within 50 years of creation – 70 years from when made public
- if not made public – 70 years from creation
For more details of the copyright terms, refer to the Department of Communications and the Arts table on the Duration of copyright.