Art in Australia was an early twentieth century art magazine containing articles by or about significant Australian artists, including Norman Lindsay and Margaret Preston. The magazine offered a unique, historical aspect into both Australian art and artists and the development of prominent art collections in Australia. Produced between the two world wars, 1916 to 1942, the journal Art in Australia is a major resource for Australian art history, promoting modern ideas at a time when electricity and automobiles were just being introduced to Australian households.
A joint project between the University of Wollongong Library, the University of New South Wales Library and the National Library of Australia has resulted in a free, online version of this prominent early Australian art publication.
- Series 1: 1916 - 1921 (11 issues)
- Series 2: Feb 1922 - May 1922 ( 2 issues)
- Series 3: Aug 1922 - Nov 1940 (81 issues)
- Series 4: Mar 1941 - Jun 1942 (6 issues)
How to search within Art in Australia on Trove
- Add one or more search terms to the Trove search box above
- Select Go to see a list of issues of Art in Australia on your topic, or, simply select Go to browse through the Art in Australia archive
- Click on the green View Online box on right to view an article, download or simply read online
To initiate another search, return to the search box on this page or leave the search terms "nla.obj-325167134" in the search box in Trove, adding other subject terms to search within the Art in Australia archive.
Access and copyright for Art in Australia
Copyright varies with publication date of each issue. There may be full copying rights or copying may only be possible under some circumstances, for example a portion for research or study. For more information see Copyright.