What can I do if I have access or login problems?
Step 1: Check if your computer has the recommended System requirements necessary for access.
Step 2: Check IT at UNSW and ensure you are using the correct staff/student number and zPass.
If you are still having problems logging in, contact the IT Service Centre
Step 3: All other access problems can be reported online
The following computer system requirements are recommended for accessing UNSW Library's electronic resources.
- Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9 for Windows
- Firefox 12 for Windows
- Chrome 19
- Safari 5 for Mac OS
- Cookies must be enabled
- Cache must be cleared
- Pop-up windows must be enabled
- Foreign language characters must be enabled
- Bookmarks should not be used because URL's are constantly being changed by suppliers and many are subject to redirects, session ids and authentication details
Security software / firewall restrictions
Access to UNSW Library's electronic resources may be prevented by:
- internet security software on personal computers (e.g. Norton Internet Security, Norton Firewall, McAfee, Vet and Net Nanny). Turn off the software temporarily and check if this restores access
- firewall restrictions at a non-campus location (e.g. your workplace). Error messages indicating possible firewall restrictions include:
- Access Denied
- The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy
Consult your local computer support or ISP to enable firewall ports 1701 and 9003.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view many full text electronic journals and e-books in pdf format
- If you require Adobe Digital Edition to download an eBook and want to download to a mobile device (such as an IPad) it may be necessary to download an additional app such as Bluefire reader which will allow you to read the eBook on your device. You may be asked to provide your Adobe Digital ID details to complete the download, this ID is your own personal registered Adobe ID.
Usernames and passwords
- log in to UNSW Library Login screens with your current activated UNSW staff/student number and zPass. Contact IT at UNSW if you do not have your login details
- off-campus users will be prompted with an additional login screen that requires their UNSW staff/student number and zPass
- you may need additional resource specific usernames and passwords to access some resources. These details are provided in a pop-up window called UNSW Library Electronic Resource Access. This window will pop-up when you try to access the resource
- some user groups are not eligible for University-wide authentication and are therefore currently unable to access systems requiring a UNSW staff/student number and zPass