Books and e-books
How do I find ... books?
Search for books via Library Search
Find a book on Library shelves
When you have found a book you want via Library Search:
- check to see if the book is available
- determine the location
- write down the item number of the book
- if the book is already out on loan, log in to myLibrary to reserve the book
How do I find ... e-books?
Search for e-books via Library Search. Narrow your search using Refine My Results.
- title keywords
Can I print from an e-book?
- copyright rules apply, which means that users can copy only small sections of an e-book, e.g. 10% or a chapter
- publishers allow differing amounts to be printed and in various formats, e.g. in PDF or in html
Can I save from an e-book?
Digital rights management means that restrictions are placed on users:
- publishers do not usually allow users to save
- if saving is permitted there may be time limits
Can I save my place in an e-book and make my own notes?
Because systems vary between publishers, e-books may offer:
- the option to create a free account or bookshelf
- detailed information via the help pages
What can I do if an e-book doesn't display properly?
E-books may sometimes not load properly. This may be because:
- library subscription may only allow a restricted number of users at any one time. If so, try again later
- some books may take a long time to load, due to file size.
- your computer settings may need to be checked against our system requirements, e.g. you should have cookies enabled in your browser
- you may need to empty your cache periodically
- if you are off-campus, an organisational firewall may be affecting your access
Tips & guides
Improve your search results by:
- searching with alternative subject terms