Books and e-books
How do I find ... books?
Search for books in the Library catalogue
Find a book on Library shelves
When you have found a book you want via the catalogue:
- check to see if the book is available
- determine the location
- write down the item number of the book
- if the book is already out on loan, click the Reserve button to reserve the book
New books in the Library
To find new books on topics of interest, set up RSS feeds. These will:
- keep you informed about new items in the Library
- link you directly to the catalogue record for any item that interests you
How do I find ... e-books?
Search for e-books in the Library catalogue. Narrow your search using Refine My Results.
- title keywords
Can I print from an e-book?
- copyright rules apply, which means that users can copy only small sections of an e-book, e.g. 10% or a chapter
- publishers allow differing amounts to be printed and in various formats, e.g. in PDF or in html
Can I save from an e-book?
Digital rights management means that restrictions are placed on users:
- publishers do not usually allow users to save
- if saving is permitted there may be time limits
Can I save my place in an e-book and make my own notes?
Because systems vary between publishers, e-books may offer:
- the option to create a free account or bookshelf
- detailed information via the help pages
What can I do if an e-book doesn't display properly?
E-books may sometimes not load properly. This may be because:
- library subscription may only allow a restricted number of users at any one time. If so, try again later
- some books may take a long time to load, due to file size.
- your computer settings may need to be checked against our system requirements, e.g. you should have cookies enabled in your browser
- you may need to empty your cache periodically
- if you are off-campus, an organisational firewall may be affecting your access
Tips & guides
Improve your search results by:
- searching with alternative subject terms